Tennis Pro: Joachim
Originally from Essen, Germany our wonderful Tennis Pro Joachim Neifeld came to Canada in 2000 with his wife Kathleen. Always involved in many sports as a child, Joachim is a strong believer in children playing multiple sports opposed to early specialization. That being said Joachim loves that he can teach children how to enjoy and succeed at “a sport for life”!
- What made you get into playing tennis and then later coaching tennis?
We had a sports club around the corner that offered Soccer and Tennis. So both sports were promoted and played by most kids. Next to playing and competing in pro events as well as team tennis championships I took the Coaching Certification at the age of 20 and started coaching on the site shortly after. Today coaching is still a passion of mine with the main purpose to involve kids in activities rather than playing computer games. As Tennis is considered a sport for life my sport is an easy sell to most.
- What is your favourite childhood memory?
I have so many great memories growing up and playing on soccer and tennis teams. Many friendships made back then are still in place despite the long geographic distance.
- What is your biggest struggle with life or work?
Just finding the right balance of finding enough time for my fav people, my wife Kathleen our son Nicholas, and the thriving business I bought about two years ago, which is a graphic design and print business, Dittos.
- What is the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you?
Maybe the time when I was 10 years old and played on a select soccer team against Axax Amsterdam and my nerves made me forget to wear shorts when leaving the change room. Luckily my Jersey was so long that nobody noticed so I could go back in and finish my dressing….
- What is your favourite hidden gem in Kelowna?
Fresh Start is still a hidden gem in the restaurant world in Kelowna and offers only super fresh and delicious food.
Check out Fresh Start Here: http://www.startfreshproject.com/
- What is your favourite physical activity?
I love all sports, but my favourite is still tennis.
- If you could go anywhere in the world right at this moment where would you go and why?
I would revisit the northern part of India as it is just stunning and so different from anything else one can ever see
- Where or how would you like to see positive change in Kelowna?
Kelowna is growing at a fast pace and now is the time to plan it right, learn from the mistakes of other municipalities and make sure every citizen feels at home here.
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
I will never grow up, according to my Mom.
- What do you work toward in your free time?
Keeping a balance between staying physically active and healthy as well as my mind.
- What is your go to karaoke song?
I would do My Way – Frank Sinatra as it doesn’t require too many high sounds.